Anime Expo 2023 (Part I)

September 6, 2023

Night Import: Photography by William Lee | Words by William Lee


DSC_0272

Hello everyone! It's been about 9 years? I've been pretty busy with my life and didn't have any time to go out to a car show, meet, or whatever you want to call it these days, for quite a long time now. I apologize to my blog fans and promise that I'll try to get back in the car scene. But before that, let me share a coverage that's not so much relevant to the car scene, so it's up to you to ignore this coverage or just read/look it through :)

I covered Anime Expo back in 2012 and 2013 and had the opportunity to attend this year's event with few of my friends. I was and still am a huge fan of Anime, so I was pretty dam excited to attend this one after so many years of just reading coverages of the event. From what I remember, the amount of people attending the event back in 2012 and 2013 were far less than this year's event. Lines were shorter, prices were cheaper, I actually had space to walk around inside the event hall, and they used two halls for the event. 10 years have passed and I was flabbergasted by the amount of people inside and outside of the convention center and the overall size of the event. Let's get into the coverage, but before that, I want to apologize first for taking shitty photos. The focus, exposure, etc. were so off. I haven't touched a DSLR for years so please understand. Thanks to Andy for letting me borrow his 5D Mark III and 24-70 lens!


DSC_0009

Like always, the event went on for 4 days and was held at Los Angeles Convention Center. As an attendee 10 years ago, let me tell you that the lines weren't as crazy as this year's event. I checked on Wikipedia to see the amount of attendees compared to this year's event and it grew by almost 8 times! I guess Anime is getting popular every year.

DSC_0009

This was only one line out of the many scattered around the center and it was the entrance to the West Hall. I think we waited here for about 1 1/2 hours and it was hot..HOT!!!

DSC_0009

Upon entering and going up the stairs, look what we have here. Ifrit from Final Fantasy 16.

DSC_0009

I've always been a huge fan of the Final Fantasy franchise. I've played FF7, 8, 9, 10, 10 part 2, 12, and 15, and was super excited to play 16. I'm actually playing FF16 now and so far love the game.

DSC_0009

My friends and I wanted to check the South Hall first, which was actually a horrible choice. I think we waited a good hour or so in the hallway. The line was not moving!

DSC_0009

We finally got out from the hallway and as you can see, the place was super crowded. I thought it was just me, but reading/watching a few coverages on the event, it seemed like the entire crowd control was unorganized and some areas seemed unsafe. I just felt this way on day 1 and the other 2 days were fine. I mean almost every opening day for an event gets crazy.

DSC_0009

Upon entering into the South Hall, I bumped into one of my favorite anime series, Naruto. I wish I had this set at home...

DSC_0009

There were a few booths I couldn't get into because of the crowd, but I tried my best to take photos of every area. Here's one of my favorite characters from My Hero Academia, Shoto Todoroki and the crew.

DSC_0009

Demon Slayer! Woot!!

DSC_0009

On the day of the event was a few days prior to launching the new season of Jujustu Kaisen. Here's a photo of my bro Andy and Toji from JJK.

DSC_0009

I fuked up a lot with majority of the photos, so once again, my bad! This area was probably one of favorites. I'm a huge figure collector and these gigantic ones are the ones I really want. Problem is....$$$$

DSC_0009

So dope!

DSC_0009

I'm also a huge game fanatic and it was awesome to see an Armored Core 6 figure. Any games from FromSoftware, I buy.

DSC_0009

One Piece! You guys enjoying the Netflix series?

DSC_0009

Gundam for the win.

DSC_0009

DSC_0009

DSC_0009

Just a few figure photos here and there.

DSC_0009

Time to go out and find the best Cosplayer!

DSC_0009

No idea who this character is. Pumpkin person.

DSC_0009

Cheaaa~~

DSC_0009

Anyone that dresses up as Gojo deserves a photo.

DSC_0009

Dope bag!

DSC_0009

We decided to head back to West Hall, but I can't recall if this was the 1st or 2nd day. I think we were there twice, but whatever.

DSC_0009

Last of Us.

DSC_0009

Some of these computer cases looked awesome.

DSC_0009

Especially this one!

DSC_0009

Am I the only one playing Diablo 4 these days? Where y'all at? Waiting for Season 2?

DSC_0009

Back to South Hall to see some more cosplayers. Here is.........SpideyCat.

Let's just finish off with Part 1 of AX today. I'll post up Part 2 probably this week or late next week. Have a good day everyone~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment